Sunday, March 11, 2007

Spark

.
.
I am a star which goes with thee and shines out of the depths.

Mithraic saying, 600 B.C.
.
.

In early February 2006, three months after the heart attack, I was scheduled to fly to the Mayo clinic in Minnesota; I was very concerned about the outcome of the testing that was to be done there. I didn’t know if I would need heart bypass surgery. I didn’t know if I was going into congestive heart failure. I didn’t know if I would return to Fairbanks.


After completing this drawing at the end of January, I feared it might be my last one. I thought, My light is fading.
.
.
Much later, as I tried to understand the symbolism of the drawing and came across this quotation about the Mithraic star, the Web told me that the Mithraic view preceded Christianity, that Mithras was said to have been born on December 25, and that the Vatican was built on a Mithraic site.
.

.
Instead of a fading light, I had drawn an ancient image of the Spirit, a Divine Spark within each of us.

.
.
.

My Zimbio
Top Stories