Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Eye




In a dark time the eye begins to see...

Theodore Roethke

.
.

It was hard to look past the problems of my heart. The beginning of the "eye-dea" with the drawing was to have a heart in the pupil of an eye. As has happened with all of the drawings, it took on a life of its own.


My wife tells me that it looks like the Eye of Ra, and that one does not want to Eye of God to look directly at you.


In ancient Egypt, the Eye of Ra was the eye of a peregrine falcon, both a symbol of safety and protection, and an image of a powerful destructive force linked with the fierce heat of the sun. Humanity was born of the tears of Ra:





Some kind of bird's eye had clearly been drawn. It evoked in me an intense feeling of scrutiny by some Being in another world. Is my Unconscious punningly alluding to some "Close Encounter of the Bird Kind?"



Or is this drawing about consciousness, about opening one's Eye to the World?

.

..

.

My Zimbio
Top Stories