Saturday, March 10, 2007

Drunken Monkey

. .

.

The mind is like a drunken monkey stung by a bee.
.
Buddhist saying
.
.
With all the irregular heart rhythms, the strange whooshing and swooshing of my heart, the fear of another heart attack, it was difficult not to be worried all the time. I feared that that my anxiety would make things worse for my heart, yet the anxiety was constantly present.


Several weeks after the heart attack, I took up meditation; I had difficult sitting still. I added chanting to the meditation, trying to resonate deep and healing sounds around my heart area. I worked at visualization, relaxing and seeing my heart as healthy and strong. I repeated over and over to myself, “My heart and arteries are soft and open.”


In late January, I sat down at the computer to draw and to my surprise, the image was a peaceful one.


Finally, the Drunken Monkey had calmed down.


My Zimbio
Top Stories